This painting was mentioned by Crowe in his diaries on 5 July 1899 and 21 November 1902. It was auctioned at Christie’s in London on 8 July 1899, having previously been in the collection of James Dole Esq. of Redland House, Bristol. It was bought by J.J. Wroe, a picture dealer of Manchester. In 1902 it was bought by George Albert Smithe of St Ives, Huntingdonshire.